- My car ran out of gas on the way to work. I was pushing it to a gas station and I got a stomach hernia and I have to go to the doctors.
- I won’t be coming in today, I’ve spent my last cent playing online bingo and I don’t have any money left for the bus. Don’t worry, I’ll try to win it back today while I’m off!
- When I got up this morning, I took two Ex-Lax in addition to my Prozac. I can’t get off the john, but I feel good about it.
- I am stuck in the blood pressure machine down at Wal-Mart.
- I am not coming in because I tried to dye my hair blond, but it came out green!
- I have a bit of a problem. I got the end of a Q-tip stuck in my ear and have to go to the doctors to get it out.
- I sprained my wrist cooking dinner in the microwave last nite.
- I won’t be in to work today. My wife said she is going to conceive today, and I want to be there when it happens.
- The blankets were too heavy for me to lift so I was stuck in bed all day.
Jesus once told a story about three men who came up with excuses for not following Him (Luke 9: 75-62). Though at first they seem legitimate, Jesus doesn’t accept their excuses. The bottom line is there is no good excuse for not following Jesus. The writer of Hebrews says, “how shall we escape if we ignore so great a salvation” (Hebrews 2:3). When we stand before Jesus someday our excuses will sound pretty lame. We need to be reminded that putting off a decision about following Christ till someday is a dangerous proposition. Again the writer of Hebrews reminds us. “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts (Hebrews 3:15). Why put it off? Why not make this the day you decide to follow Jesus? It will be the best decision you will ever make.
Have a great week!